14- day vegan diet with Kushites Vegetable Cuisine ~ Day 1


"Food is the staff of life"

I have wanted for a long time to change my eating habits to more healthy ones and so my interest  was sparked by vegan/vegetarian diets.  I also felt compelled to stop eating animals after a Facebook friend posted a macabre image of dinosaur legs packaged like chicken. I was horrified!! I stopped eating chicken and other meat kinds for months. I chose to eat fish only and decided that i would eventually remove it from my diet. My setback to being vegan/vegetarian is that i dont know what to eat half the time. So until i have a better appreciation for the foods to eat as a vegan, fish is still on my grocery list. In the past few months i removed all dairy products from diet. I won't lie, i have cheated a bit...a random bun and cheese or a taste of Mom's rice & peas and chicken on Sunday. Still, I am learning. i haven't lost hope...The pyramids weren't built in a day!

So I decided to start a 14 day vegan challenge with Kushites Vegetable Cuisine. I will have no meat, no dairy, no fish!  Only natures gifts. Each day will consist of 3 meals provided by Kushites Vegetable Cuisine. I will be documenting my experience so stay tuned for updates!
Inside Kushites Vegetable Cuisine


Day 1

Today was the first day of the vegan challenge and i started with a bang!

Breakfast ~ Hemp protein shake made with raw hemp,bananas, coconut milk, cinnamon and coconut sugar.

Hemp Protein Shake


 I'm not really a heavy eater in the mornings so shakes/smoothies make perfect breakfast for me. This hemp shake was very filling and is made with actual raw hemp. I swear i felt a little high when i was done. lol. joke. It was really a good way to start this vegan diet. It was the perfect sweet and just the right thickness so i was good right up to lunch time.

Lunch ~ Nut Balls in green thai curry, coconut jelly noodles and black "Forbidden" rice salad

LemonGrass Lemonade
                                       

Nutballs, Black Rice Salad, and Coconut Jelly Noodles

This meal was raw(uncooked) and it had my taste buds going crazy. I tried the first thing that caught my eyes in the plate and that was the black rice salad. The flavour was exceptional. Then i went the nut balls...i must admit, i love peanut butter or anything flavoured peanut but from a young age i have not been a fan of raw peanut. So this was not my favourite thing on the plate but the Thai curry sauce made it easier. I didn't realize from reading the menu that coconut jelly noodles was apart of this dish. I was looking at the plate and thinking "Is that pasta jelly?" lol. It sure was and turned out to be my favourite thing on the plate

Vegan Lunch

                                   
Live Naseberry & Starapple mousse. Sugar Free

                                         For dessert came this Naseberry Starapple mousse! A blend of two very exotic                                       fruits. Who thought of this??Believe me, it's as good as it looks. Everything is actually. Yum!



Queen Kush had this for lunch!
 




Dinner...

Fruit Infused Water



Dinner ~ Falafels & Jimbilata Cous Cous including a carrot and dates salad and a sorrel drink

Falafels & Jimbilata Cous Cous

Bissap


Dinner was a great close to my first day of healthy eating with Kushites Vegetable Cuisine. I enjoyed everything on this plate. It looks small but it is a very filling and balanced meal. The cous cous was served in a large tomato, i love tomatoes. I loved the dates and carrots salad which gave a sweet element to the dish. 

Vegan Dinner


Day 1 complete! !3 more to go! Are you inspired yet? Join me on this challenge and share your journey! #IslandEssence

Follow us on Instagram for updates: @islandessence and @kushitesvegetablecuisine

Stop by Kushites Vegetable Cuisine and check out the menu....you won't regret it!
9-11 Phoenix Ave...off Hope rd.












2 comments: