Day 5 ~ 14-Day Vegan Challenge

Words are sweet, but they never take the place of food. ~Ibo Proverb


I started the 5th day of my vegan challenge with a green smoothie that I made myself. Green smoothies can be tricky when it comes to taste so i made sure to include some of my favourite fruits...banana, mango and pineapple. For the greens i used kale, callaloo and broccoli. No sugar added. 


Find some health benefits to drinking green smoothies here: http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/green-smoothie-health-benefits/



Green Smoothie
My other two meals for the day were prepared by Kushite's Vegetable Cuisine.

Lunch ~ Raw Vegan Tacos (Mushrooms, sprouted black rice, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots,                 sugar snap peas, rosemary-marinated carrot rose) With a side of carrot-date salad                   and arugula
          ~ Vanilla Almond Mocha Latte

Raw Vegan Tacos

Eating vegan can be a challenge if you love meat, if you eat fish or if your a vegetarian who is accustomed to eating cooked food. Eating raw vegan is a whole different ballgame as for me it takes serious adjustment of my palette to appreciate the taste. However, I'm well aware of the various benefits of eating raw. Raw food is natural medicine. A strict raw food diet can cure and prevent many illnesses. Rastas are right... food is medicine, medicine is food. 

Raw Vegan Tacos

In my previous post i mentioned that i love mushrooms so i was looking fwd to having it raw. The leaves were thick enough so I decided to bite into it. It's really funny how this meal played out cuz the first couple bites were great, i felt over it in the middle and then to the end I didn't want it to end. lol . The sweet tastes of the date & carrot salad made a good side for the tacos. 

Vanilla Almond Mocha Latte

This latte was perfect with my the tacos and perfect for the chilly afternoon.  It was all kinds of yummy!


Dinner ~ Gado Gado (Indonesian Peanut stew with coconut basmati rice)



Gado Gado
I tried to have an open mind with this dish because, as i said in the first post, I'm not a fan of peanuts. This was cooked peanuts though so I thought it could be similar to red peas. It was delightful! I loved the blend of flavours in this plate from the slightly sweet coconut rice to the toasted sesame seeds and the stewed peanuts with tomatoes! This dish is a must-have!



Follow us on IG for updates: @islandessence, @kushitesvegetablecuisine 





No comments:

Post a Comment